Writing Prompts…Once More With Feeling!
April 7, 2017 4 Comments
Alright, I know I tried this before, but I mean it this time! My blog had far too little love last year (and the year before that…and kinda the year before that…), and I’m determined to do it this time! I’m going to select 30 new prompts (except for the prompts I really love!) and am sticking to it this time! I swear! This is the list of prompts that I’m going to use for my Month of Writing Prompts…Once More With Feeling! Feel free to join me and send me a link to your work in the comments! Or not…entirely up to you!
So, without further adeu, the list of prompts!
1. Why did you start your writing? Is that still why you write, or has your writing gone in a different direction than you’d planned?
2. Write for 10 minutes about a conflict that involves tulips in some way.
3. What does Sunday feel like? Write a poem or paragraph (or whatever) that explains your opinion of and emotions felt for the seven separate days of the week.
4. Choose an object that you can see well; something in the room, on your desk, or outside. Describe it to the reader as if they had never seen such a thing.
5. Begin with “Today I will…” and write for ten minutes.
6. Who do you want to be when you are 40? (Or 50 or 60, etc. if you are already 40)
7. Write in the third person (omniscient) point of view about a male character who is under the age of 18. Have the story involve touching something for the first time. *try not to go into the gutter with this one!*
8. Can you think of a time when something that was poorly written caused confusion or trouble for you? Write about the experience. If you can’t think of anything, make something up!
9. Write as if you are observing a celebration involving an original female character of your making.
10. What was your favorite childhood toy?
11. Finish this sentence: “I’d love to _____ but my _____ just _____!” (And then write a story that follows it.)
12. Who have you forgotten about until right now? Think hard and list five people from your past that you really should have written something about by now but haven’t. Circle the name of the person who stands out the strongest. Write a description or brief memoir of that person.
13. List 10 words that you like. Elaborate on why you like them, and maybe even give a definition of them.
14. Write about a keepsake.
15. Write in the first person perspective of a female character that’s under the age of 18 and involve a storm shelter in some way.
16. You have some advice to give. Write a letter to someone and pass on your wisdom to them.
17. What makes it a game anyway? Somehow write about a childhood or adult game as if it was real life, not just a game.
18. Would you prefer to have $10 million dollars right now or $1 million a year for 10 years? Why?
19. Write 4 things about yourself that are true and one that’s a lie. Don’t indicate in any way which is which. Leave your readers to guess which one is the lie.
20. Why would a fashion model refuse to have pictures in her house?
21. Write 10 sentences using a different cliché in each. Now, rewrite the sentence to eliminate the cliché and find a more clever and creative way to convey its meaning.
21. Pick an idiom and make up your own explanation for the origin of the idiom. Make it humorous if you can!
23. You bump into a genie and she offers to grant you three wishes. What are your wishes and why?
24. Describe your very first job.
25. List 10 words that you don’t like. Elaborate on why you like them, and maybe even give a definition of them.
26. Pinpoint a moment in your past where you had to make a big decision. Write about that other alternate life that could have unfolded.
27. You come home and check your phone messages. You get to the third message and freeze. Begin from there.
28. Imagine that you could be invisible for one day. Write a story about that day.
29. Write a dialog between two of your favorite characters from books/tv/movies.
30. Put together a a musical playlist of songs that describe your life, including what you hope your future entails.